Teenager loses lower legs and all 10 fingers after eating friend's leftovers

A shocking health story from in the has resurfaced online this weekend, concerning a 19-year-old man who ate a friend’s leftover chicken, rice and lo mein noodles, before having all 10 fingers and his lower legs amputated.

While the individual has not been named, a description of their case was . Its title confirms the man suffered shock, a rash and multiple organ failure.

“The abdominal pain and vomiting were followed by the development of chills, generalized weakness, progressively worsening diffuse myalgias [widespread muscle pain], chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, and blurry vision.

“Five hours before this admission, purplish discoloration of the skin developed, and a friend took the patient to the emergency department of another hospital for evaluation,” the paper reads.

Over time, the patient’s rapid breathing or ‘tachypnea’ worsened, while low blood oxygen and blue or grey skin (cyanosis) developed.

He was eventually admitted to the paediatric intensive care unit at another , at which point health professionals learned his friend who had eaten the meal the night before threw up shortly afterwards, but his illness did not worsen.